- Are you providing the correct commercial dog food to your beloved pooch?
- What to look for when you are deciding on the food to give your pooch?
- Does your dog’s meal plan satisfy his energy and nutritional requirements?
- Are you confused about which commercial dog diet is right for your dog?
Don’t have time to read? Watch the video instead
I absolutely agree with this quote. It holds true not only for us but also for our beloved dogs. The correct nutrition can make a world of difference to their behavior and health.
What makes up a complete commercial dog food?
A complete dog diet must fulfil all the nutritional requirements for a dog to stay healthy. No additional diet should be needed to complete the nutritional requirement of the dog’s proper growth and health.
The history of commercial dog food
What are the different types of commercial dog food?
Commercial dog diets don’t come in diverse shapes, sizes and flavors like human food. However, there are certain varieties to choose from. Let’s have a look at the different kinds of commercially available dog food:
- Kibbles/Dry food
- Canned commercial dog food
- Semi moist
- Home cooked
- Raw food
1. KIBBLES or DRY COMMERCIAL DOG FOOD:
ADVANTAGES of DRY DOG FOOD:
- Most economical
- Widely available
- Long shelf life
- Chewing on kibble, reduces tartar build-up and keeps teeth healthy
DISADVANTAGES of DRY DOG FOOD:
- Less palatable than canned or soft-moist food
- Only dry ingredients are used in their formulation. Drying reduces the nutrition factor of the ingredients.
- Have the lowest amount of essential fatty acids.
WHAT TO LOOK FOR when buying DRY DOG FOOD?
- If you are buying dry dog food for your dog (from a US based company), make sure it is of high quality and meets the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) standards.
- The ingredients are listed in descending order in the label, from the ingredient present in the maximum quantity to the one present in lowest quantity.
- Check for the name of the meat used. Don’t go for “meat meal”. The kind of meat used should be specified.
- Should have an expiry date or a best by date which is at least six months away from the time when you are buying the product.
2. CANNED COMMERCIAL DOG FOOD:
Fresh and frozen meats are assembled and then ground into tiny pieces in large batches. Post grinding, the meat is mixed with vitamins and minerals. This is the raw product.
so that the starch ingredients gelatinize and the proteins denature. The product after blending and cooking is packaged and sealed. Finally, the cans undergo sterilization by heating them to 121°c for three minutes to kill highly dangerous bacterial species like Clostridium botulinum.
ADVANTAGES of CANNED DOG FOOD:
- More flavor
- More meat like texture
- Use fresher ingredients than dry dog food
DISADVANTAGES of CANNED DOG FOOD:
- More expensive than dry dog food.
- Contains more calories, making it difficult to determine the right amount to feed your dog.
- Most canned food contain 75% water. Higher the water content, less is the nutrient content in the product.
WHAT TO LOOK FOR when buying CANNED DOG FOOD?
Complete and balanced label awarded by AAFCO (if it is a US based company).
Look for the ‘guaranteed analysis’ label requirement. This gives the information about the minimum amount of protein and fat as well as the maximum amount of water and fiber present in the product.
3. SEMI-MOIST COMMERCIAL DOG FOOD
Semi-moist dog foods are generally shaped like burgers, pork chops or other meaty food. Of all the kinds of dog diets, these ones contain the least amount of nutrition and are high on artificial coloring and flavor. They generally come in pouches and trays.
These can be provided as occasional dog treats but should not be considered as a diet themselves as they lack in terms of meeting the nutritional requirement of your pup/dog.
ADVANTAGES of SEMI-MOIST DOG FOOD:
- Easy to open and store. Most of them can be stored at room temperature until the packet is opened.
- They are less messy in terms of feeding your dog compared to canned food.
- Dogs find the taste of semi-moist food more appealing than dry dog food.
- Semi moist food being soft is easier to chew than dry dog food, thus making them favorable for senior dogs or dogs suffering from dental problems.
- Picky dogs eat semi moist food easier than other types of dog food.
- Less expensive than canned dog food.
DISADVANTAGES of SEMI-MOIST DOG FOOD:
- More expensive than dry dog food
- Semi-moist dog foods contain excess sugar (syrup form) and salt, This makes them appetizing but not healthy.
- Some have artificial color and preservatives.
- Propylene glycol is used by dog food manufacturers to make the food soft and chewy. As per FDA, propylene glycol is safe in dog food when present in low quantity. However, if consumed in large amounts, it can be very harmful to dogs.
HOME COOKED meals:
Some dog parents wish to be in complete control of their dog’s diet. Home cooked meal for dogs can be expensive and time consuming. However, this way dog parents can be assured that their dog’s food is nutritionally balanced. Also, the food is fresh and free of preservatives which is not the case in commercial food. therefore, homemade dog food can be a great nutritional choice when done correctly.
However, if there is a lapse in the provision of proper supplements, it can lead to devastating effect on your beloved pooch. Thus, dog parents need to do their homework so that their kid’s food does not miss out on any valuable nutrition.
ADVANTAGES of HOME COOKED MEALS FOR DOGS:
- Allows for the better managing of health issues like heart, liver and kidney disease alongside proper veterinary care.
- You don’t have to worry about the quality and safety of the commercial dog food.
- Allows you to regulate the exact vegetable or meat (quality as well as quantity) which goes into your do’s diet.
- No filler ingredients (commercial dog food use these to increase the product volume with no nutritional benefit to dogs, thus adding to the profit).
- You can optimize the recipe to suit your pooch and help avoid potential allergens.
- Allows for variety in their diet. Keeps your pup excited for mealtime.
- Fresh with no preservatives.
- Meal planning can be done beforehand. Money can be saved by buying the protein sources, vegetables and fruits in bulk at your convenience.
- Prescription dog foods can be quite expensive. In such a scenario, homemade meal for your dog can actually cut your expenses.
- Can be provided to dogs in all life stages.
DISADVANTAGES of HOME COOKED MEALS:
- It is crucial that the right supplements are added to your dog’s food every time it is served. Absence of correct supplements can have devastating effects on their overall health.
- While preparing your dog’s meal, you need to know that certain ingredients (chocolate, grapes, raisins, onions, certain mushrooms etc.) which might be safe for you are not safe for your dog. Therefore, these ingredients must be avoided. Thus, one needs to be very cautious while searching for dog food recipes online.
- You must familiarize yourself with the full list of human food which might be unsafe for your dog.
- Due to the lack of a feeding amount guideline, dog parents might underfeed or over feed their dogs. However, to avoid this, you can select homemade dog food recipes which come with the nutritional information or calculate how much nutrition your dog needs by yourself.
- Can be expensive depending on the availability of ingredients
- It is time consuming. However, the bond we will when we cook for our loved ones is the same when we cook for our fur babies. They know it and we know it, the time and love that has been put in cooking the meal and it helps strengthen the bond. You can also cook in bulk and freeze the food in batches to reduce the overall time spent in the kitchen.
- Not a convenient option if you are a frequent traveler.
RAW DOG FOOD:
Raw dog diet primarily comprises of uncooked meat (organ and muscle meat), complete or crushed bones, vegetables, fruits, dairy and raw eggs. This can be considered as the grain-free dog food. Raw dog diet was initially administered to sled dogs and racing greyhounds to increase their performance.
Disadvantages of the RAW dog diet:
- Colonization of antibiotic resistant bacteria in dogs.
Why is commercial dog food still occupying the market?
Must be good
Promotion by veterinarians
My personal experience:
I started Delta on kibbles when he was younger. However, he hates them. Even the smell of kibbles was enough to make him turn and go in the other direction. But he would always gravitate towards the smell of boiled meat. I also tried to give him raw meat but again, he hated it. So, Delta is currently on home cooked meals with vitamin, supplements and omega 3 fish oil.
I have also seen a sea change in his energy levels ever since I have switched him from kibbles to the home cooked meals. Now he has:
- A higher stamina
- Less recovery time
- Increased alertness
Thus, I’d say that the home-cooked meal works well for my boy. Let me know in the comments what diet do you give your pooch and why do you love that diet.
Every commercial dog food has its own pros and cons. The best way to determine the best type of dog food for your pooch is to discuss the same with his/her veterinarian, as they are familiar with your dog’s lifestyle, exercise level and health, they can provide you the best suggestions.
A note of caution:
The transformation from one diet to another should be done gradually. Sudden diet transformations can lead to an upset stomach. When switching diets, Very slowly reduce the quantity of one type of food and increase the quantity of other kind of food in the diet.
Frequently asked questions:
Commercial dog food is prepared by baking and extruding. First a dog is made with the ingredients and supplements. Then it is passed through an expander and heated to cook the raw ingredients. Then the dough is forced through specific shapes and holes to get them into desired shape before packaging.
The processing of commercial dog food causes a loss of the nutritional value of the diet. It is not bad for dogs, but it also does not provide your dog all the essential nutrients he or she needs for proper growth and good health.
During the 1930’s commercial dog diet companies started to manufacture per food as cheaper option compared to homemade dog food.
Raw dog’s diet needs a lot of supervision to make sure that your pup is receiving adequate nutrition. With commercial dog food, people assume that they are wholesome and nutritious.
Homemade dog food is better if you can provide additional supplements, superfoods and maintain the diet with provides all adequate nutrition for your dogs health. Commercial dog contain p preservatives and lose nutritional value during the processing stages. Hence homemade dog food is preferred over commercial dog food.
I feed my pooch a raw diet & I will never look back! He is constant energy, less recovery time as mentioned in the post & his fur is beautifully soft since changing.
Great article thank you for sharing, I like to vary my dogs diet up.
Commendable post with significant scientific insights.
I have a dog so this post is so helpful for me. I know the differences but read different versions is good especially if there are scientific insights. Thanks for sharing. – Paolo
This is a reminder that everyone needs nutrition and that pets also deserve food that they will enjoy. I don’t have pete, but I’ve bought Alpo dry food for a rescuer friend’s stray dog. I hope that’s a good brand.
This is a very informational post! Over the 14 years I have had my two dogs I have given them all of these different types of food. It is so true that the dog really does respond differently depending on the type and quality of food they get. As my dogs have aged, both have become less active and one has lost a lot of teeth so it is great to be able to adjust their food type based on what they each need throughout their lives.
Thanks for sharing all the different options. We do home cooked for our boys too. We used to do kibble but after a health scare with our husky, we found a lot of information regarding the adverse affects of kibble and chose the alternative.
I need to start cooking for my baby. We have a Malamute with a sensitive tummy.
Home-cooked meal is safer for sensitive tummies.
Thank you so much 🙂
Very interesting post. I don't have dogs but cats, so I imagine it's similar.
We have been making our cats their own food since this whole thing started!
Thank you for sharing.
our dogs prefer homemade food but they also have dined on both dry and canned food
It actually takes a good amount of research to feed your dog the right thing. I learned this many years ago after my dog got really sick from eating dog food I had bought at the store.
My dogs eat kibble recommended by their doctor. Homemade and raw diets concerns me and I don't think I'd ever go those routes. Thanks so much for sharing this with all of us!
This is very helpful for dog owners. I am currently feeding some stray dogs around the neighborhood, and Im planning to shift to homecooked because dog food is becoming so expensive. Thank you for these recommendations.
I remember my Mom used to feed her dog dry foods and semi-moist.. Then when her puppy became an adult, he learned how to eat home cooked meal. And he gets bigger!
The last time i had dogs we fed them blue buffalo and rice( with water as they got older to soften the food) good to know these things about dog food
This is vary useful guide to dog owners. Also good for those just got a puppy or dog for the first time – I wouldn't know where to start!
i don't have dogs, but this will be very helpful for those who have especially on the first time of having a dog pet, reading this will make them understand more.
my pups are dry food and the same brand of dog cookie
This is really helpful for me that I owned 4 dogs. It's really helped to find a perfect dog food for my fur babies.
I didn't know a dog diet could be that complicated! I knew there were different kind but not to that extend! Thanks for sharing.
Canned dog food and home cooked meal is best food for dogs…… it will give us so much help…… thanks for sharing.
This looks really good. Thank you sharing this!
Home cooked food is extra work but what is good is that you know exactly what is inside. Great information!
Great post for dog lovers! Thouugh some are doing homecooked foods for their pets as well, this is a very helpful information
Commendable work with significant scientific insights.
I am perpetually thought about this, thanks for putting up.
I dugg some of you post as I thought they were very useful extremely helpful
Hello there, You have done an excellent job. I’ll certainly digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I am confident they’ll be benefited from this website.
Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive read anything like this before. So good to search out someone with some authentic ideas on this subject. realy thanks for starting this up. this website is one thing that’s needed on the web, somebody with a little bit originality. useful job for bringing something new to the internet!
Greetings from Los angeles! I’m bored at work so I decided to check out your website on my iphone during lunch break. I enjoy the knowledge you present here and can’t wait to take a look when I get home. I’m amazed at how fast your blog loaded on my phone .. I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyhow, excellent site!
I visited a lot of website but I conceive this one holds something special in it in it
I’ve been browsing online greater than three hours lately, but I by no means discovered any fascinating article like yours. It is pretty worth enough for me. In my opinion, if all website owners and bloggers made just right content material as you did, the net will likely be much more useful than ever before.
Keep up the good work, I read few articles on this website and I think that your web site is very interesting and has got circles of excellent info .
You made some decent points there. I did a search on the topic and found most individuals will consent with your site.
I have been checking out some of your articles and i can claim pretty clever stuff. I will definitely bookmark your website.
Hi there, I found your web site by means of Google whilst looking for a similar matter, your website came up, it seems to be good. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.
Hello there, simply became aware of your blog via Google, and located that it’s truly informative. I am going to watch out for brussels. I’ll appreciate when you continue this in future. Numerous other people might be benefited out of your writing. Cheers!
What¦s Taking place i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I have found It absolutely useful and it has helped me out loads. I am hoping to give a contribution & assist other customers like its aided me. Great job.
I am not sure where you are getting your info, but good topic. I needs to spend some time learning much more or understanding more. Thanks for excellent information I was looking for this info for my mission.
I like this website so much, saved to my bookmarks.
I have read a few excellent stuff here. Certainly price bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how a lot attempt you put to make any such great informative web site.
I really appreciate this post. I’ve been looking everywhere for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You’ve made my day! Thank you again
I discovered your blog site on google and check a few of your early posts. Continue to keep up the very good operate. I just additional up your RSS feed to my MSN News Reader. Seeking forward to reading more from you later on!…
You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be actually something that I think I would never understand. It seems too complex and extremely broad for me. I’m looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang of it!
I’ve been surfing on-line more than three hours as of late, but I by no means found any interesting article like yours. It is lovely value sufficient for me. In my opinion, if all site owners and bloggers made good content material as you probably did, the internet will likely be much more helpful than ever before.
What’s Going down i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I’ve discovered It positively helpful and it has helped me out loads. I’m hoping to contribute & assist different customers like its aided me. Great job.
Wonderful website you have here but I was wanting to know if you knew of any community forums that cover the same topics talked about here? I’d really like to be a part of online community where I can get suggestions from other experienced people that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Thanks a lot!
excellent issues altogether, you just won a logo new reader. What could you recommend about your publish that you made a few days ago? Any certain?
It is really a great and helpful piece of info. I am glad that you shared this helpful information with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.
Great wordpress blog here.. It’s hard to find quality writing like yours these days. I really appreciate people like you! take care